The thing about guilty pleasures is that they aren’t things we necessarily feel guilt over, but more shame and embarrassment. So really, these are our shameful pleasures - but that sounds naughty, so we’ll stick with guilty.
Usually guilty pleasures are associated with pop culture and hobbies that are generally regarded as uncool. I’m pretty much okay with being uncool for the most part - it’s part of my charm. High School’s over! I can embrace my strangeness!
Since I like making lists, I’m going to make some TOP 5 lists:
TOP 5 GUILTY PLEASURE SONGS:
1. All Out of Love by Air Supply - I downloaded this because of a scene in this short-lived Canadian television series called JPod. The scene involves drunken karaoke and viral video.
2. Rasputin by Boney M - I remember a girl in high school used this song in history class for a project on Rasputin. Nothing beats campy dance music.
3. I Need You Now by Lady Antebellum - I like this overplayed, country-ish, pop song.
4. Pokerface by Lady GaGa - Lady GaGa frightens me, mostly because she reminds me of a cartoon villian. She just doesn’t seem real. But damn, this song is catchy.
|Listening to GaGa...shhh.|
5. My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors by Moxy Fruvous - Cheesy early 90s Canadian pop! This song is a about me, I swear.
TOP 5 GUILTY PLEASURE FILMS:
1. A Walk to Remember - Mandy Moore, Shane West, a dying girl, a bad boy. This is one of those movies you pretend to hate in mixed company, but you secretly love.
2. Just Like Heaven - Reece Witherspoon is a ghost in limbo (sorta) and Mark Ruffalo is a drunk widow. So natural they fall in love. Don’t judge me!
3. 13 Going on 30 - Another Mark Ruffalo, only this time he’s paired with Jennifer Garner. A 13 year old girl wishes she was 30, and it happens.
|Hugh Grant is so delightful.|
5. Peter Pan - One of my favourite Disney movies. I have this one on VHS and DVD. "Think of a wonderful thought! Any happy little thought!..."
TOP 5 MISCELLANEOUS GUILTY PLEASURES:
1. YouTube Vlogs - My life is boring, this is why I need people on YouTube to tell me about theirs.
2. Online Shopping - I feel like my mail carrier is judging me each time he sticks an Amazon.ca box between my doors. Or an envelope from an Etsy seller.
3. Chocolate - I may have eaten a hand full of chocolate chips straight from the bag more than once.
4. The Blogosphere - I talked about this in my Real Life vs. Blog Life post, but I don’t really talk about my blog much in real life. But I have a morning routine. I wake up, take a shower, make a cup of tea, sit with my laptop and check my email, facebook, and sometimes YouTube, then I check my blogroll. I go through all the newly posted blogs, and even go back to some I skimmed or skipped before.
Okay, so let the mocking begin!
And, also, do me a favour and check out Lauren’s post from Friday - it’s really funny.
See you Wednesday Tom!